- Digital Library
- Books & Research
- Library Services
- About the Library
- About Port Arthur
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
Can't find the item you want in your local catalog? Use our Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service to request materials from other libraries!
If you have questions about your ILL request, please call (409) 985-8838.
Interlibrary loan (ILL) is open to everyone with a valid adult Port Arthur Library card.
A card with any fines, lost materials, or that is expired is not considered valid.
The card must be presented to obtain this service.
Each patron's first 50 requests per year are free.
Each request after 50 costs $2.00, plus any fees that may be charged by a lending library.
Fees must be prepaid, and cover the process of requesting the item, whether we receive the materials or not.
Each request must be on a separate interlibrary loan request form.
Items owned by Port Arthur Public Library, even if they are for reference only, may not be requested using this service and any requests placed for such items will be cancelled. Please check the Library catalog before requesting materials through ILL.
- Request for renewal for each item may be requested between 7-14 days before the due date. The lending library will be contacted for their decision.
- If an item is already overdue, we are not allowed to request an extension
We may request any book owned by a lending library for at least one year. If the item is less than a year old, we are not allowed to request it.
If the book is too new to borrow, you may fill out an "suggested purchase" form requesting that our library buy it. We will notify you with a decision.
Magazine and Newspaper Article Requests
We may ask for copies of articles from magazines and newspapers. We cannot obtain a complete magazine or newspaper.
On article requests, you must state how much you will pay for a photocopy. Zero is not an acceptable price. There is no way to know, in advance, what a library might charge.
Charges for Overdue and Lost Books
Fines: $.50/day. Additionally, the patron is responsible for fines charged by the lending library. There is no limit on what they may charge.
Lost items: Whatever fees the lending library charges for the lost book. There is no cap. Generally, fees are much greater than the price of the book.
Loss of Interlibrary Loan Service
ILL materials returned more than 2 weeks late, will result in suspension of ILL loan service to the borrowing patron for 12 months, unless there are documented extenuating circumstances. Regular library borrowing privileges will also be suspended until resolved.
ILL loan services are a courtesy extended to us by other libraries. If we do not follow the rules, all patrons of our library maybe cut off from this service. ILL services offered to our patrons are a privilege, not a right. We are doing our best to maintain this service.
Request ILL Materials Using the Texas Group Catalog
- Search for material in the Texas Group Catalog using the basic default search or the Advanced Search.
- A list of search results will appear. To narrow your search results, use the options on the left side.
- When you have decided on a specific record, click on the title.
- Check to be sure that your local library does not own the title.
- Scroll down to click on the Request Item button.
- Choose your local library from the resulting drop-down list. Note that you should check the "Keep me logged in" box unless you are on a public computer.
- Click Continue and log in with your last name and library card number.
- On the Request this item screen, complete all required fields and any other pertinent information.
- Click Continue to submit your request.
Your ILL requests can be reviewed by logging in to My Requests once you are on the Texas Group page. This option is found under the top-left Texas Group Catalog link.